Saturday, August 8, 2020

Disneyland Records by Sparton of Canada Ltd

 

Walt Disney's Westward Ho the Wagons!

I picked up this copy of Walt Disney's Westward Ho the Wagons! some time ago on one of my trips to the USA (before Covid struck) but didn't notice until yesterday that it was something unusual. Apparently it is a Canadian company that was releasing Disneyland albums here in Canada. Printed on the centre record label it says in large letters, CANADIAN PRESSING BY SPARTON OF CANADA LTD. RECORDED BY WALT DISNEY MUSIC CO.  On the outside of the record cover, at the top righthand corner is a large gold stamp that says SPARTON. The back of the cover still says Printed in U.S.A. 

Sparton logo
Walt Disney's Westward Ho the Wagons!

Walt Disney's Westward Ho the Wagons!

Strangely, The Golden Age of Walt Disney Records 1933-1988 book by R. Michael Murray, says, "Be aware that any Disney record with "Spartan" listed on the cover is a Canadian pressing. He spelled Spartan with an "A" instead of an "O" which is how it is spelled on my copy. I wonder if it was a spelling mistake in the book, or if both spelling were used? Being as I am a Canada, I would assume that I must have other albums in my collection that are Canadian pressings, so now I will have to be on the lookout for this stamp on the covers of my albums. I think its funny the the first Canadian pressing that I noticed was purchased at a thrift store in the USA!

No comments: