Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fench Canadian Disneyland Record & Cassette

I picked up this 1974 French "Winnie the Pooh" read along book recently at a local thrift shop. It didn't have a record or tape with it, but being that it was in French, it seemed like an interesting item to add to my collection. I had noticed the cassette tape icon on the cover when I purchased it and had assumed it originally came with a tape, not a record. When I tossed it on the scanner tonight, I noticed that along with the cassette logo, it also has the record logo which had a slash though it. After scanning it, I looked closer at the slash though the record logo and thought that perhaps someone had made the slash with a felt pen when they passed it along to the thrift. I tried to erase it with a pencil eraser and to my surprise I was able to remove it completely. Now I am a little confused as to weather this came with a cassette tape, a record, or both? The inside back cover does have a fold where a record could be stored, but it is not like the usual ones that hold records which are more like a pocket.
I had a quick look though my collection and did not find another one with both the cassette AND record logo, I also did a quick look on Google and also did not see any like this, so now I am confused as to what this was. Perhaps it did come with both a cassette and a record to go along with the booklet shown here. I'll never know, as sadly my copy came with neither.

4 comments:

Terrance T said...

That is highly unusual to see the book and record/tape combo logo. I am looking at one of my book/record sets as I speak and did a double take on that book you've displayed. I'd say you have a collector's item.

Ronn Roxx said...

I didn't think much of the logo when I picked it up at the store, I was only interested in it because it was French. It was when I was getting it ready for the blog that I really had a good look at it. I had a look though the 200+ similar records I have in my collection, and this is the only one with the double logo.

Nunziante said...

Hi from Italy! I also collect Disney vinyl records from all the world. In the '80's it was common, in Italy, France and also other countries that the titles of the SEE HEAR READ series were published also in a version with tape, INSTEAD of the 45rpm record. I have several french, italian and canadian issues that present on the front cover both the cassette AND the record logo but are record versions of the title. Your winnie the pooh booklet could have with it a record or a tape, the booklet was always the same in both cases, that's the reason of the double logo! A curiosity: In Italy the titles were printed on 33rpm records only for four years from 1967 to 1970: beginning in 1971 all the new issues and the reprints were on 45rpm vinyl.

Ronn Roxx said...

Thanks nunval1 for the info. Sounds like you have a nice collection of Disney vinyl from around the world. I would love to trade North American Disney vinyl with anyone from other counties. If anyone is interested, you can email me at the email address listed at the top left of this page. I have piles of doubles that I would love to trade for items from other countries.